CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

My Story...

So I figured, I would start my 1st post on how I got "here." I will be painfully honest, I never thought I had "homeschooling" in me. I have 2 friends in different states, who homeschools; and you would here me say "I just don't have the patience for that." In my life, homeschooling moms were The Duggers, or families in Utah- I just really had NO idea! *Hangs head in shame.*

This past school year for my oldest, Hailey, in 2nd grade all of a sudden was "failing" in 2nd grade with reading and handwriting. I asked over and over with teachers and even the principal, for help or even to test her. Nothing. I finally have a conference (at the middle of the yr, and they said I had to wait for another 9 weeks) so here I am 9 weeks prior only help I got was 2x a week a handwriting class, I tell the teacher my frustration and the principal had not even talked about evaluating or other help. I decided then, after seeing tears in my daughter's eyes that she had "failed" not only her family but herself (in her opinion,) that I would look into Homeschooling. I felt and still feel, that my daughter fell thru the cracks. I have spent the last 5 months researching till the end of nights it seemed, but I'm pretty happy and exciting to start! :)

My main worry was about my little munchkin Addison, who is 2.5 years old. How will I be able to school my olders with a dancing table dancer? Then with my research, I found Tot School!  I'm reciting one of my FAVORITE blogs about Tot School: 1+1+1=1

Tot School isn't really school at all!  Don't let the name confuse you!  Tot School is basically a focused time each day on the tot in your family.  For those of us with older children who are homeschooled, we often place a lot of emphasis on them while the tots just *play.*  This isn't bad, it just didn't work for me.  Personally, I felt I was losing valuable 1 on 1 time with my precious tot that I had with my first child since he was the only one then.  Tot School is the time each day I spend with my tot, exposing early learning skills through FUN play.  Tot School is not forced, is always fun, sometimes doesn't happen the way I plan, and is always focused on my tot.

Tot School is fun.  If it becomes un-fun, something is wrong!  I personally do not believe in forcing early learning, I only believe in exposing.  Some of my "best" ideas are rejected by my tot :), she knows best when it comes to Tot School!
I'm SO excited to have everything in place its been a LONG road (or its seemed.) Since my oldest is recovering from Tonsil removal surgery, I have a start date as Aug 12th or 19th. Stay tune for my curriculum for this year, freebies I find and pin, and more!

3 comments:

  1. Tot School sounds fun! I'll have to check-out the page you recommended. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "meeting" people who have decided to homeschool! I wish you the best in your coming year. Homeschooling has been one of the toughest things I've ever tried to do, but also one of the most REWARDING! I wouldn't trade the journey for the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Tanya! Im nervous but very excited on homeschooling. I cant wait to get help from you "seniors" in the homeschooling field, and help discover other options too :)

    ReplyDelete